Category Archives: Made from T-Shirts

T-Shirt Dishrags

Standard

Flashback!

I’ll be posting some things I’ve made over the last few years that used to be on my old blog. That blog is lost forever now so the pics are moving here!

 I made a lot of these dishrags from t-shirt scraps. Red was a mistake though because it bled all over for the first few weeks it was in use. The other colors performed much better! These are double sided with pin-tucked centers. The tucks create ridges for scrubbing. :D

Window Quilts

Standard

Flashback!

I’ll be posting some things I’ve made over the last few years that used to be on my old blog. That blog is lost forever now so the pics are moving here!

 These are the window quilts I made for the kids’ room from old sheets, blankets and t-shirts:

Toy Bowling Set Bag

Standard

This project was pretty far down on my list of priorities but this morning I wanted a quick project to do that didn’t have to be anywhere near perfect.
I used the bottom of an old cotton blend t-shirt, using the bottom hem as a drawstring casing, scrap fabric, cheapo buttons and beads, and an old salvaged shoelace.
Very easy and much neater for the set! I did see a bag like this somewhere online but can’t remember where to give the credit, sorry!

The Finished Stack of Cloth Diapers

Standard

Here are the finished 9 diapers in Rusty Wallace, floral, Matt Kenseth, surfing, tie-dyed and Penn State prints. They turned out so cute but they are quite small. I doubt they’ll last the baby’s first two months before they’re outgrown.

Fern and Fairie Fitted Cloth T-Shirt Diaper

Standard

Here’s the first finished of a set of cloth diapers I’m making from our old cotton t-shirts. I used the free Fern and Faerie pattern/instructions that can be found here: http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_fitteds.html . I chose to make the stuffable style.

The only snag I came to was the elastic around the legs. The pattern doesn’t say how long to cut the elastic. The difference between notches on the pattern for small is 10 inches so I tried 7 inches of elastic. I think that’s too long since the legs don’t seem to be cinched in very much at all. I’ll cut 6 inches for the next one.

I have a bunch of these cut and prepped that were just waiting for the velcro so now that I have velcro the next diaper post should be a picture of a stack of finished dipes. :D

A simple basket liner

Standard

Just a quick fix to my daughter’s basket. It’s not a holiday thing. She just likes to haul around a collection of her favorite toys wherever she goes. And they’re heavy, and plentiful! Thus, growing holes in the basket bottom allowing smaller toys to fall through.
I whipped up a quick little box-shaped liner with drawstring sides and interior pockets out of an old t-shirt and ripped delicate’s laundry bag. After I took this photo I tacked the pockets down the middle because they were too gappy.

Sleeping Cap Prototype

Standard

I’ve wanted a sleeping cap for years so I did some internet browsing to find a shape that might work for me. I chose a basic stovepipe. I used an old t-shirt and cut two circles and a large rectangle(head circumference X 16 inches with seam allowance). I folded the rectangle in half lengthwise and sewed the raw edges to the double layer circles. Then I sewed the back seam. 15 minutes start to finish.
It’s very serviceable and comfortable but I look truly frightening in it. So I need to find a more suitable style so I don’t scare my husband and kids.

T-Shirt Braided Rug

Standard

I picked up a set of braided rug gadgets(something like these:  braidaid)

at the thrift store for $3. I figured I’d use them to make braided rugs out of wool or old sheets.
Well, I decided to try the gadgets out on a bunch of cotton blend, stretched out and stained tees that were beyond reconstructing.
5 tees and 2 partial tees came to this 18X24 inch rug:
IM003218

The gadgets worked like they were supposed to, for the most part. All the mistakes you see in the above project are just me learning.

I thought this way a fun project, really easy, frugal and not all that time or attention consuming. I spent about 6 multi-tasking hours on it start(cutting up tees) to finish(photos).